|Job Title||EMS Dispatcher -Full Time|
This position performs a variety of skills and semi-skilled functions in support of the dispatch center; receives and dispatches emergency and non-emergency calls. Provides Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) direction and participates in the work of a dispatcher/call taker and performs other duties as assigned.
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to operate Emergency Medical Service (EMS) Computer-Aided Dispatching equipment to quickly and accurately receive and transmit information of an emergency nature.
Work involves evaluating incoming calls to determine the appropriate level of EMS assistance required, dispatching units, and transmitting information and messages upon request and/or according to established procedures. Employees are expected to demonstrate extensive communications skills and to exercise considerable judgment under pressure. Work is performed under the general direction of a supervisor who is available for immediate consultation on any situation. Shift work is required.
Essential Job Functions
- Operates an EMS Computer-Aided Dispatching console consisting of a multi-button telephone system, base radio, and computer terminal.
- Answer incoming calls and extracts necessary information from callers.
- Evaluates incoming calls to determine the nature and urgency of the call.
- Dispatches the appropriate Fire/EMS unit(s).
- Keeps track of the status and location of all EMS personnel and vehicles.
- Transmits messages and information to Fire/EMS units responding to calls.
- Provides emergency medical self-help to citizens while EMS units are en route.
- Contacts outside agencies and other City departments to coordinate aid (i.e. Central Medical Emergency Direction (CMED), contact the Police department for police assistance).
- Answers routine questions or refers calls to appropriate agencies or non-Fire/EMS inquiries.
- Consults supervisor on non-routine matters.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Remain calm and effective under heavy workloads and in emergency situations.
- Exercise good judgment in emergency situations.
- Determine priorities of emergencies.
- Obtain and act on information quickly and accurately in emergency situations.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions in the English language.
- Comprehend and make inferences from written materials such as operations manuals and dispatch manuals.
- Learn job-related material through oral instruction and observation, and through structured lecture and reading to effectively perform job duties.
- Learn street locations, station locations, and geography of the areas served.
- Work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- Full Time- Must be willing to work any shift (including evening, nights), holidays and weekends to maintain business needs.
- Any combination equivalent to graduation from high school, and one (1) year of responsible full-time working experience. EMS/Fire dispatching experience preferred.
- Must be able to pass the EMD program within 6 – 12 months of hire and maintain certification during employment.
- Communicate orally in the English language with the public and co-workers in face-to-face one-on-one setting or using a telephone.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, race, color, veteran status, religion, sex, or national origin.